Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Adult Literacy Fundamentals Mathematics: Book 6 – 2nd Edition
This is book six in a six-book series on fundamental mathematics for adult learners. These books include glossaries, self...
Overview of OSCQR 4.0
The OSCQR rubric is a customizable and flexible tool for online course quality review that helps campuses ensure that...
Following Directions is a Valuable Skill
Following Directions is Valuable Skill is a hands-on activity with a reading component. Students are given a set of...
Learning through Examples: Inductive Learning
This article explains the difference between traditional learning and inductive learning. This second path, which starts...
Transforming Practice: Learning Equity, Learning Excellence
This publication contains learning modules designed for both faculty and professional staff in Nova Scotia post secondary...
Bibliometrics: Making Sense of Citations
This module will introduce basic techniques in bibliometrics, such as citation analysis, citation impact factors, and...
Talking about Mental Health handout
The 11 scenarios offer suggestions on how to respond to students who are overwhelmed and feeling distressed. Use these...
Starting A Conversation About Mental Health: Foundational Training for Students
Starting a Conversation about Mental Health: Foundational Training for Students" includes a facilitator’s guide with...
Talking about Mental Health: Scenarios and Responses – Transgender Student
The guide is a facilitator’s guide for use with post-secondary students and the scenarios offer suggestions on how to...
Effectively Moving Away from Traditional Proctored Exams in First-Year Physics Courses
In this post, University of Northern British Columbia instructor and 2020–2021 BCcampus Research Fellow Meghan Costello...
Project Management for Instructional Designers
Project Management for Instructional Designers (PM4ID) is a textbook about project management tailored specifically for...
Dr. Kathie Stromile Golden
Kathie Stromile Golden is Director of International Program and Special Assistant to the President at Mississippi Valley...
Textbook Evaluation Toolkit
In Spring 2018, the LaGuardia Community College Library department was awarded a New York State grant to train students...
Online Course Design Rubric
DLINQ has developed the Middlebury Online Course Design rubric to articulate the core components of good online course...
Teaching and Learning Knowledge Base
This resource has been developed by Middlebury college faculty for other faculty Middlebury faculty. They offer...
CAMP DESIGN ONLINE
Although some entries are related to Middlebury College, this short course will help you in designing your classes. We’re...
What Educators Need to Know About Assistive Tech Tools
Are plummeting literacy skills the new pandemic among young learners? Dozens of studies over the past year have shown...
The Asynchronous Cookbook
Whether you're teaching mostly in person but looking for some regular, asynchronous activities to add to your course, or...
Pulling Together: A Guide for Curriculum Developers
The Curriculum Developers Guide is part of an open professional learning series developed for staff across post-secondary...
Creating Authentic Assessment
Welcome to this mini-course on creating authentic assessments for the classroom. During the portion of this course, you...
When considering how to assess student learning in a course, most instructors would agree that the ideal assessment would...
Authentic assessment evaluates whether the student can successfully transfer the knowledge and skills gained in the...
More traditional forms of assessment, such as essays and examinations, have no specific application in most real-world...
The Case for Authentic Assessment
Assessment is authentic when we directly examine student performance on worthy intellectual tasks. Traditional...
New Pedagogy Members
Yammie DaudBukidnon State University
Irene StewartSt. Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology
Darko PantelicJönköping University
Valary OleinikValary Oleinik
Bruce HarrisDixie State College
Kristilyn MosesECPI College of Technology
Denise JaffeLandmark College
Emma Duke-WilliamsUniversity of Dundee
Matthew SmithdealUniversity of British Columbia
Francis ObmergaFar Eastern University
Heather UlrichFairfield University
Cynthia BrisseyWest Virginia Wesleyan College
Cynthia MedinaCitrus Health Network, Inc.
Renee ShafferUniversity of South Carolina System - Columbia
Sankaranarayanan K BBharathiar University
Ellie DworakBoise State University
Steven KromanTexas International Education Consortium
Heather FarmakisTexas International Education Consortium
Catherine McCollumWMU Cooley Law School
Angela WhiteMorehouse College
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- Drake University had more than 300 COVID-19 cases in the days before Sunday’s commencement and sent most students h… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…34 minutes ago | insidehighered
- #ICYMI A plan to restructure @TAMU 10 libraries would force librarians to relinquish tenure or move to another acad… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…56 minutes ago | insidehighered
- The right end-of-the-year activity can put a pretty bow on the school year. Find out how to use these activities to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | edutopia
- Court: Arizona State Can’t Sue Anonymous Instagram Account. bit.ly/3LoLhJw https://t.co/8OjEkdk702, photo: pic.twitter.com/8OjEkdk7021 hour ago | insidehighered
- Opinion | What’s Really Wrong with Our Flawed System of Elite College Admissions. bit.ly/37TMuLt https://t.co/rAUzHIDA33, photo: pic.twitter.com/rAUzHIDA331 hour ago | insidehighered
- Today on the @AcademicMinute, part of @SUNY_Oneonta Week: Dan Stich, associate professor of biology, says sacrifice… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Opinion | Everyday Acts of Resistance: Resistance against gender inequality and promoting equity don’t have to be b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Here are several ways to support SEL and inclusivity through bulletin boards. ✨
edutopia.org/article/promot…3 hours ago | edutopia
- Obamas, Airbnb CEO Launch New Scholarship
🗣 “If we want this next generation of leaders to be able to do what they… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | insidehighered
- Nearly two years after lifting its ban on renaming campus buildings, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hil… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
Au To Hold Online Classes Ahead Of Campus Reopening | Visakhapatnam News - Times of India
May 17, 2022 03:23 PM PDT
May 17, 2022 01:45 PM PDT
May 17, 2022 01:38 PM PDT
'Worried about my grades': KVCC students react to cybersecurity attack | WWMT
May 17, 2022 12:03 PM PDT
Hendrix College President Ellis Arnold to retire in 2023 - The Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
May 17, 2022 10:36 AM PDT
The Changing Higher-Ed Ecosystem
May 17, 2022 09:42 AM PDT
What are the ways to make students and teachers learn cooperatively? - Big News Network.com
May 17, 2022 09:41 AM PDT
Metaverse in Education Market – Technology & Vendor Assessment (Vendor Summary ...
May 17, 2022 09:02 AM PDT
Dance Class Management Software Market Trends, Top Manufactures, Dance Class ... - AlgosOnline
May 17, 2022 08:17 AM PDT
How Vyloppilly Samskrithi Bhavan in Thiruvananthapuram is promoting Kavyakeli - The Hindu
May 17, 2022 07:22 AM PDT
Chinese Entrance Examination: Students coping with the pandemic's impact - CGTN
May 17, 2022 05:39 AM PDT
Bangkok University offers streamed MasterClass courses to its students - Nation Thailand
May 17, 2022 01:24 AM PDT
IIM Calcutta shifts to online classes as COVID-19 cases on campus rise: Report
May 17, 2022 12:13 AM PDT
Summer Classes, 2022 Edition | Confessions of a Community College Dean - Inside Higher Ed
May 17, 2022 12:08 AM PDT
PNP marches on Ministry of Finance | News | Jamaica Star
May 16, 2022 09:08 PM PDT
Ukraine returned Indian students fear suspension over non-payment of tuition fees, expect to ...
May 16, 2022 08:59 PM PDT
Delhi University resumes classes, some offline, some virtual - The New Indian Express
May 16, 2022 08:01 PM PDT
This Detroit teacher helps adult learners return to the classroom
May 16, 2022 04:40 PM PDT
Combatting disinformation – the war in Ukraine - Media and Information Literacy Alliance
May 16, 2022 03:27 PM PDT