Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Luxury Beauty Safari: Sephora.com as an Organizing System
Sephora.com is an ecommerce website featuring luxury beauty products. This team-teaching online synchronous lesson...
Team Spotify: A Briefing on using Spotify as an Organizing System
Lesson Objective: Students will gain an understanding of Spotify as a powerful digital file organizing system through a...
Exploring Organizing Systems: The Library of Congress Digital Collections
The Library of Congress (LC), established in 1800 by the United States Congress, is the largest library in the world with...
Strategies for Conducting Literary Research, 2e
Welcome to Strategies for Conducting Literary Research! This book walks you through the process of conducting literary...
Exploring Facebook Marketplace as an Organizing System
This lesson plan and presentation provides students an opportunity to explore Facebook Marketplace (FBM) as an organizing...
Book Bike Story Time
This is a presentation done at the Bike Walk Tenness Summit October 21, 2022,in Franklin, TN. It tells about Mt. JUliet,...
CINAHL and PubMed - Give Me Five Video Series
The Give Me Five video tutorials series is designed to introduce students to a library skill in five minutes. This video...
MLA 9th Edition Tutorial
This interactive MLA tutorial is meant to serve as an introduction and overview of MLA Style and formatting, 9th edition....
Book Clubs in Academic Libraries: A Case Study and Toolkit
This toolkit is designed to inform the academic librarian about book clubs hosted in an academic library. The toolkit...
This project focuses on computational thinking (CT) programming and assessment in libraries and other informal learning...
Critical Thinking in Academic Research
Critical Thinking in Academic Research introduces students to the techniques and principles of critical thinking in...
Researching Wicked Problems
These chapters present a series of short readings with discussion questions and exercises related to basic research...
Libby: The Library Reading App
This is a lesson plan for a presentation on Libby, the free library reading app created by Overdrive. The objectives are...
Quick Guide To Navigating Epicurious.com (Lesson Plan)
An overview examination of the organizing system that is used by Epicurious.com. By the end of this session, the class...
512 Teaching Team final lesson plan
INSC 512 Teaching Team: Spotify as an Organizing System Amber Noblit, Ella James, Aeryle Kuehn, Julia Burrow, Derick...
Epicurious Teaching Lesson - Information Organization
Epicurious is a cooking site owned by Conde Nast where a viewer can search for a variety of content including recipes,...
INSC 512 Teaching Team: Spotify as an Organizing System
Spotify as an Organizing System is designed to provide users with an introduction to the Spotify platform including: User...
Information Discovery: Keywords and Platforms
How much do you usually think about the search terms you use to find source material in databases and archives? This...
Libby: The Library Reading App
This is a lesson plan and presentation on Libby, the free app that allows library patrons to borrow ebooks, digital...
Libby - the Library Reading App - Demonstration
Libby is a free app where you can borrow ebooks, digital audiobooks, and magazines from your public library. The...
Bicycle commuting and Book Bikes
This is a resource for librarians who want to help people use the bicycle to commute by, or may want to start a Book Bike...
Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research
Engaging graphics, compelling examples, and easy-to-understand explanations make Choosing and Using Sources: A Guide to...
PSU Extension Research Resources Handbook
If you are reading this handbook, you know very well that what you do translates the research happening at universities...
This book uses an interactive approach to conveying the values of academic integrity, clarifying the meaning of...
Julie SimerlyUniversity of Tennessee System - Knoxville
Cris FergusonMurray State University
Kelsey GongwerUniversity of Tennessee System - Knoxville
Sara BurdUniversity of Tennessee System - Knoxville
Alison DoremusUniversity of Tennessee System - Knoxville
Addison PatrickUniversity of Tennessee System - Knoxville
Brandi CastilloKankakee Community College
Shanna HollichGuthrie Memorial Library
Jacob BilekEast Tennessee State University
Adeyinka OshilaluAddjim Global Consult
Lynne LambdinNorthern Michigan University
Breanna WintersYork County Libraries
Samantha McClellanCalifornia State University, Sacramento
Reed HEPLERCollege of Southern Idaho
Emmett LombardGannon University
Reanna KissellMonash College
Nicole DalyVillanova University
Allison HosierState University of New York System - Albany
Heather GraySouthern Wesleyan University
Terrence MartinWilson Technical Community/Technical College
Jamileh KouhestaniAnne Arundel Community/Technical College
Katya HenryQueensland University of Technology
Louise FeldmannDelaware County Community/Technical College
Simone WilliamsBroward Community/Technical College
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (50)
- Cataloging and Classification (54)
- Citations and Style Guides (65)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (551)
- Information Retrieval (115)
- Information Technology (28)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (71)
- Issues in Librarianship (55)
- Library Specialties (17)
- Professional Development (26)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Medical Library Association
- CORE: Leadership, Infrastructure, Futures
- American Association of Law Libraries
Journals & Publications
- College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- American Libraries
- Journal of Information Technology
- Library Journal
- In the Library with the Lead Pipe
Library & Information Services on the Web
Tool library keeps ratcheting up interest - Daily Herald
Dec 05, 2022 03:36 AM PST
Ames High School students create portraits of Ukrainian refugee children
Dec 05, 2022 03:14 AM PST
Banaras Hindu University Central Library Exhibits rare Tamil books and Palm-leaf ...
Dec 05, 2022 02:50 AM PST
Library trip for Upton reading ambassadors - The Isle Of Thanet News
Dec 05, 2022 02:29 AM PST
Bay County Public Library Foundation receives $26K grant to benefit literacy efforts
Dec 05, 2022 02:08 AM PST
Punjab: Govt school library restorer booked for raping Class 10 student - Hindustan Times
Dec 05, 2022 12:07 AM PST
Director, Library job with THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN
Dec 04, 2022 11:48 PM PST
Coming up | News, Sports, Jobs - Observer Today
Dec 04, 2022 11:33 PM PST
Read for joy during library's Winter Program | Education | nrtoday.com - The News-Review
Dec 04, 2022 10:42 PM PST
Scholarship taps Richmond County students for HIV, AIDS & mental health education ideas
Dec 04, 2022 02:52 PM PST
Spy novel author visits Jervis library | Daily Sentinel
Dec 04, 2022 09:06 AM PST
Sports log | Sports | dnews.com
Dec 04, 2022 08:15 AM PST
Meet Mary Ellen Icaza, head of Stark County District Library - Canton Repository
Dec 04, 2022 07:35 AM PST
Clark County History: Libraries and reading rooms - The Columbian
Dec 04, 2022 06:16 AM PST
6 steps to 'decolonising' your library collection | The Educator K/12
Dec 04, 2022 05:02 AM PST
'They're going through higher education by themselves' : The foster student experience
Dec 04, 2022 12:32 AM PST
Lib & Info on Twitter
- RT @CILIPinfo: Thank you @guardian for this essential piece on #libraries: "a resource that must be protected", "the beating heart of their…40 minutes ago | OCLC
- RT @StylesTrip: id.oclc.org/worldcat/entity built with @nextjs.
Great framework to start a project from scratch. Its way of developing pages a…47 minutes ago | OCLC
- RT @ISNI_ID: Today at 1pm (GMT) we're holding an #ISNI #Technical #Advisory #Committee meeting. The #ISNITAC has representation from #ISNIm…1 hour ago | OCLC
- RT @pdjewell: For anyone interested in libraries and research about libraries this free webinar is on tomorrow
#ResearchInPractice https:/…6 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @shigekisasagawa: Back home at the Melbourne office https://t.co/YocTJgLN1K, photo: pic.twitter.com/YocTJgLN1K12 hours ago | OCLC
- Build book lists with colleagues. 📚 Staff accounts allow library staff to affiliate with an institution and work co… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | OCLC
- ✨ ICYMI We're excited that these five trailblazing artists and authors will appear on the LLX Studio stage! Learn m… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | ALALibrary
- 🎉 ICYMI We're happy to announce that visual artist and author Willie Mae Brown will discuss her new book, "My Selma… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…20 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @sheilayoshikawa
Ghana's Media and information literacy market roadshow: dlvr.it/SdqRv2 #infolit20 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @sheilayoshikawa
Social Annotation Tools: dlvr.it/SdnTF3 #infolit20 hours ago | LISResearch