Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Maternal Health Call to Action Summit
Vice President Harris Delivers Opening Remarks Panel 1: Build Back Better by Improving Maternal Health Panel 2: 1-on-1...
Moral Distress, Mattering, and Secondary Traumatic Stress in Provider Burnout: A Call for Moral Community | AACN Advanced Critical Care | American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
Burnout incurs significant costs to health care organizations and professionals. Mattering, moral distress, and secondary...
Nursing Ethics: Moral Distress in Nursing
Nurses can feel moral distress when they feel they feel their integrity has been compromised or when they feel powerless...
Moral Distress and Building Resilience - Johns Hopkins Nursing Magazine
Moral distress is a threat to nurse retention. It plagues significant numbers of nurses and many other health care...
Moral Distress in Nurses and Other Health Care Professionals
As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, it is becoming increasingly evident that many on the frontlines are,...
What is moral distress in nursing
The phenomenon of ‘moral distress’ has continued to be a popular topic for nursing research. However, much of the...
Exploring the experiences of nurses’ moral distress in long-term care of older adults: a phenomenological study - BMC Nursing
Background Moral distress is a poorly defined and frequently misunderstood phenomenon, and little is known about its...
Cope With Moral Distress by Focusing on the Possibilities
Ethical dilemmas arise more often than we realize: consider the patient you have been taking care of for three days...
Creative Common Photo Resources | School of Nursing | Vanderbilt University
School of Nursing Creative Common Photo Resources
Welcome / Massachusetts DHE Nursing Scenario Library
Welcome to the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (DHE) Nursing Initiative Simulation Scenario Library. The...
Open Educational Resources- University of West Florida
Open access maaterials housed in unveristy virtual library
Pamphlets and publicity material at the National Nursing Headquarters ; 370 Seventh Avenue, New York City
Pamphlets and publicity material at the National Nursing Headquarters ; 370 Seventh Avenue, New York City in Harvard...
Libraries: Nursing: Open Educational Resources
Subject Guide - open access
LibGuides: Nursing: Open Educational Resources (OER)
LibGuides: Nursing: Open Educational Resources (OER)
Seton Hall University Libraries: Open Educational Resources: OERs for Nursing
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching and learning materials that you may freely use and reuse at no cost.
Interventions to reduce burnout of physicians and nurses:... : Medicine
have been conducted within Cochrane Library, PubMed, Ovid, Scopus, EBSCO, and CINAHL published from inception to 2019. In...
The Concept of Burnout in the Nursing Profession
Poor physical and mental health in nurses could decrease nurse performance and quality of care because nurses are one of...
Burnout in nursing: a theoretical review - Human Resources for Health
Background Workforce studies often identify burnout as a nursing ‘outcome’. Yet, burnout itself—what constitutes it, what...
‘Self-care and resilience’ — UW’s Elaine Walsh discusses burnout among nurses
The pandemic has left nurses around the country feeling burned out. Their top four feelings, according to a recent...
U.S> Faces Crisis of Burned-out Helathcare Workers
The pandemic has driven burnout among health care workers to crisis levels, driving many stakeholders to call for...
Burnout in nursing: what have we learnt and what is still unknown? | Nursing Times
Abstract Maslach’s theory of burnout states it is characterised by emotional exhaustion, depersonalisation and reduced...
Pandemic keeps exacerbating burnout among nurses, including travelers
Animosity is also growing between core nursing staff and traveling nurses who are often contracted to do the same work...
Nurse Burnout: Risks, Causes, and Precautions - University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences
We outline what nurse burnout is, the dangers it poses, how to prevent it, and how to address it if it’s happening to...
Who Is at High Risk for Severe Coronavirus Disease?
Some people are at a higher risk for serious infection if they catch the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. They include...
Jeri WhiteusCentral Ohio Technical College
Runez BenderGovernors State University
Natasha WilliamsTallahassee Community/Technical College
Megan KingHumboldt State University
Anita AlberoConestoga College of Applied Arts and Technology
Larissa SmollarPennsylvania Institute of Technology
Rita GiriKwantlen University College
Heidi WienkeIllinois Central College
Erin MaruzzellaUniversity of Colorado System
Aliyu AhmadFederal Polytechnic
Gail WilliamsonBishop State Community/Technical College
Wanda HilliardTexas Tech University-Health Sciences Center
Judith AbregoTexas A and M University System - Texas A and M International University (Laredo)
Emily SpenskiUniversity of New Hampshire
Marcos VInicius Silva de AlmeidaEstudosMarcos
Paul MisasiKansas Health Science Center
Sharyn BakerPueblo Community/Technical College
Abyot MeazaEthiopian Public Health Institute
Dana CrowderPolk Community/Technical College
Vikram VisvanathanInvitreo Biosciences Private Limited
Jolene StilesSouth Puget Sound Community/Technical College
Arlen Meyers, MD, MBAUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and Business School
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (482)
- Cardiology (210)
- COVID, SARS, MERS (33)
- Dentistry (60)
- Dermatology (39)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (106)
- Epidemiology (106)
- Exercise Science (42)
- Gastroenterology (127)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (257)
- Geriatrics (69)
- Healthcare Administration (138)
- Healthcare Disparities/Inequities (10)
- Hematology (92)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (56)
- Mental Health (565)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (333)
- Nursing Education (221)
- Nursing (1316)
- Nutrition (193)
- OB and Gyn (260)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (132)
- Other (298)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (162)
- Pharmacy (144)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (542)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Respiratory Therapy (5)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (37)
- Toxicology (22)
- Veterinary Medicine (55)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Physical Therapy Beneficial for Migraine Headaches - Observer-Reporter
Jan 16, 2022 11:40 AM PST
Impending Physician Shortage; Financial Self-Defense | MedPage Today
Jan 16, 2022 11:07 AM PST
Vivek Murthy calls SCOTUS vaccine mandate block "a setback for public health" - Axios
Jan 16, 2022 10:35 AM PST
Public health unit in Reserve offering vaccines, tests this week - BRProud.com
Jan 16, 2022 10:28 AM PST
Whitman County Public Health Experiencing Unprecedented Levels of COVID- 19 ...
Jan 16, 2022 10:02 AM PST
Public health expert: Biden administration needs to have agencies on the 'same page' about COVID
Jan 16, 2022 10:02 AM PST
Orange to lead North Quabbin public health collaborative - Greenfield Recorder
Jan 16, 2022 09:53 AM PST
Zoho Helps JB Music Therapy Integrate Its Operations - Small Business Trends
Jan 16, 2022 09:13 AM PST
Supreme Court's block of vaccine mandate a 'setback for public health': Surgeon General
Jan 16, 2022 08:58 AM PST
Austin Public Health interim director to take over as permanent leader - KXAN
Jan 16, 2022 08:50 AM PST
Taiwan's KMT says public health most important when considering Fukushima food imports ...
Jan 16, 2022 08:38 AM PST
Americans used to respect public health. Then came COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News
Jan 16, 2022 08:34 AM PST
Murthy: SCOTUS vaccine mandate block is a 'setback for public health' | TheHill
Jan 16, 2022 08:34 AM PST
Gruninger: Yoga Therapy To Juice Your Joints - Los Alamos Daily Post
Jan 16, 2022 08:16 AM PST
SCOTUS blocking vaccine mandate 'a setback for public health:' Vivek Murthy on 'This Week' - KAKE
Jan 16, 2022 07:37 AM PST
Longtime EMU Team Physician David Alvarez Passes Away - Eastern Michigan University Athletics
Jan 16, 2022 07:22 AM PST
How to Start Going to Therapy - One Green Planet
Jan 16, 2022 06:51 AM PST
Nova Scotians to who test positive for COVID-19 asked to complete online report - CTV News Atlantic
Jan 16, 2022 06:35 AM PST
SCOTUS blocking vaccine mandate "a setback for public health:" Vivek Murthy on This ... - ABC News
Jan 16, 2022 06:19 AM PST
Why I'm going back to therapy, even though I'm in a good place with my mental health | The ...
Jan 16, 2022 06:19 AM PST
Health Sciences on Twitter
- As the pandemic advances and evolves, so does the science: When it comes to the highly-transmissible #Omicron varia… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…28 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Dr. Rajesh Khanna Named Director of the NYU Pain Research Center
dentistrytoday.com/dr-rajesh-khan…2 hours ago | DentistryToday
- Anterograde lag screw placement in the posterior column of the acetabulum: A case report and literature review… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | ELSORTHOPAEDICS
- #Nutrition is a form of self-care. These 3 podcasts cover food insecurity, nutrition counseling and how physicians… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Fascia Iliaca Block for Postoperative Pain Control After #HipArthroscopy: A Systematic Review of Randomized Control… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | AJSM_SportsMed
- A Review published in #BMCMedicine discusses how ketone bodies not only substitute for glucose as an external sourc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- Save up to 45% off all the resources you want for your fitness, health, nutrition, and even your continuing educati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | Human_Kinetics
- The Medical Student Advocacy Conference (MAC) is approaching quickly! If you're a #medstudent interested in learnin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- “At the very least, we need to be able to talk to someone who understands us, who is familiar with the same neighbo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | APA
- The 2022 #ACSMSummit features both in-person and online programming options so that fitness professionals can acces… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | ACSMNews