Criminal Justice Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Criminal Justice Portal, an educational resource for teaching and learning. Use this portal to discover online learning materials, MERLOT members, journals, professional organizations, and news in your discipline.
You are also invited to join MERLOT – it's free! As a member, you can contribute to this growing community of instructors and students by using and rating the learning materials you find, submitting online learning materials for evaluation that you have created or that you have used.
MERLOT prides itself on the peer reviews of material in our collection. As a member you can become a peer reviewer. The peer review process for evaluating the teaching and learning resources in MERLOT follows a standard model and is led by Editors and editorial boards. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Peer Review Information page.
Paul Bowdre, Editor - Criminal Justice Editorial Board
This is a game based on a TV show "The First 48". The true life show follows detectives from the first call to a murder scene through the first 48 hours. This game allows the user to examine finger prints, process a crime scene, and interview suspects and family among other things.
Criminal Law Online
This is a course guide for a Criminal Law course. It includes a link to the textbook as well as supplementary materials...
The California State University and MERLOT have partnered to showcase how and why faculty have adopted Open Educational...
Principles and Procedures of the Justice System
This textbook provides information about the principles and procedures involved in the justice system. The Point of View...
Motivation for Education and Training
NOTE: This is a BookBoon publication and you have to provide your email address to access it. The book is free for...
Defend Dissent is an introduction to cryptography paired with the social impacts of surveillance and the protective...
Fundamentals of Social Research
An OER research methods textbook for undergraduate courses.
Fundamentals of Social Statistics
This is my OER guide to very basic concepts of basic social statistics. Note that this is not designed to be a...
Police Methods: An Abridged Reader
This text provides a selection of readings across a wide swath of police topics. It is designed for a second course in...
Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation
This textbook will be made available for free to the scholarly community as an OER criminal investigations textbook.
Fundamental Cases on the Fourth Amendment
This text contains the heavily abridged and edited versions of important court cases centered on the Fourth Amendment.
Fundamental Cases in Procedural Law
This text contains the heavily abridged and edited versions of important court cases centered on the constitutional law...
Decision Point: Real-Life Ethical Dilemmas in Law Enforcement: Green Ph.D., Jeffrey L.: 9780981711621: Amazon.com: Books
Criminal Justice textbook
Community Action Poverty Simulations
Gain a better understanding of how poverty impacts individuals health promotion and healthcare decisions to provide more...
The illegal wildlife trade in the context of zoonotic diseases
Human-wildlife interactions are occurring at an unprecedented scale and intensity. One factor driving this trend, is the...
Cybercrime is a growing, global problem. Whether you are a small business, a Fortune 500 company, buying your first...
Each year, while countless species are driven closer to extinction, criminals make billions from the sale of protected...
Whether firearms are used as an instrument of violent crimes, as a tool to project or perpetuate power, an illegal...
Trafficking in Persons; Smuggling of Migrants
In recent years there have been few topics garnering as much widespread interest as trafficking in persons and smuggling...
Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
Education plays a key role in preventing crime and promoting a culture of lawfulness that supports human rights and...
Education should be a fundamental area of work of any effective crime prevention strategy. Organized crime, in...
Integrity & Ethics
Building a culture of lawfulness starts with strengthening our ethical values and the ability to act upon them. To that...
Corruption is one of the most serious global threats of our time. It has disastrous effects on the economy and...
Terrorism continues to present a serious threat to international peace and security, affecting many UN Member States,...
Exercises for Critical Thinking
These exercises were written to accompany a course in critical thinking. Everything starts with a question so it's...
Amey TinsleySouth Louisiana Community College
Amanda ThibodeauxSouth Louisiana Community College
Noi That Iris432
Taumafa TuinauvaiCalifornia State University, East Bay
Pebbles RobertsonSouth Louisiana Community College
Casey SchwartzloseDavenport Central High School
Layla HarrisSouth Louisiana Community College
Brianny BroussardSouth Louisiana Community College
Sharmaine TapperNorthern Caribbean University
Tangie PeltierSouth Louisiana Community College
Donielle BalstraState University of New York System - College of Agriculture and Technology at Morrisville
Kenneth ChristopherNational University
Patrick BowenLafourche Parish Sheriff's Office
SHARON WALTONCentral New Mexico Community College
Laurie HolienIdaho State University
Sherhil AlcosNew Mexico Junior College
Gary SokolowThe University of South Dakota
Gerard RemyCaribbean island
Linda CarsonLander University
Kideste YusefBethune-Cookman University
GILLIAN MAE SAPINOSaint Louis University
John C. I. RockeLos Angeles Mission College
Miranda TacyYoung Memorial Campus, Morgan City
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Correctional Association
- American Jail Association
- American Probation and Parole Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- International Association for Intelligence Education
- Midwest Criminal Justice Association
- National Criminal Justice Association
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Southern Criminal Justice Association
- Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice
- International Association for Intelligence Education
Journals & Publications
- Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice
- British Journal of Criminology
- Corrections Today
- Evidence Technology Magazine
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Federal Probation Journal
- Homeland Security Affairs
- Journal of Criminal Justice
- Journal of Homeland Security Education
- Journal of National Security Law and Policy
- Perspectives on Terrorism
- Police Chief Magazine
- The Open Criminology Journal
- Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice on the Web
How Female Criminal Law Attys Face Obstacles To Growth - Law360
Sep 27, 2021 01:48 PM PDT
Uncle of Bronx slay victim slams justice system for 'dirtbag' repeat offender - New York Post
Sep 27, 2021 01:37 PM PDT
Boston US Atty Pick Gets Hearing As GOP Prepares For Fight - Law360
Sep 27, 2021 01:03 PM PDT
Dane County Executive Joe Parisi proposes $10 million for Crisis Triage Center - Madison.com
Sep 27, 2021 01:00 PM PDT
R. Kelly convicted of racketeering conspiracy, all other counts at his federal trial in New York ...
Sep 27, 2021 12:13 PM PDT
Prison Fellowship Responds to Alarming Increase of Homicide Rate in 2020 FBI Report ...
Sep 27, 2021 11:56 AM PDT
Alabama Officials Stress Urgent Need for Modernized Prison Facilities - Correctional News
Sep 27, 2021 11:33 AM PDT
Matory, Harris-Williams, and Green Running for Hinds County Sheriff - Jackson Free Press
Sep 27, 2021 11:25 AM PDT
"Putting a price on justice""Poner precio a la justicia" - Manhattan Times News
Sep 27, 2021 11:11 AM PDT
The Bail Project, nonprofit aimed at bailing out the poor, leaves St. Louis
Sep 27, 2021 11:00 AM PDT
What does criminal justice reform look like to Kathy Hochul? - City & State New York
Sep 27, 2021 10:37 AM PDT
Angelo State University Security Studies Professor publishes new textbook on US Intelligence
Sep 27, 2021 10:26 AM PDT
Can America Heal Its Deep Divisions? Stride Says 'Yes' With New Career Curriculum ...
Sep 27, 2021 08:45 AM PDT
Ombudsman Overseeing Mass. Prisons' COVID Mitigation Efforts Is Fired | WBUR News
Sep 27, 2021 08:32 AM PDT
Nonprofits Step Into Gap on State Justice Reforms | The Crime Report
Sep 27, 2021 08:11 AM PDT
Criminal Justice on Twitter
- RT @ABADiversity: Happy Latino/a/x Heritage Month! You won’t want to miss this incredible program during the ABA Equity Summit w/ #SCOTUS A…42 minutes ago | ABACJS
- The @ABACJS Task Force: Women in Criminal Justice published its report, "Pulling Back the Curtain" today. You can r… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ABACJS
- Wondering about #CVI? Read our fact sheet, 'An Overview: Community Violence Intervention Strategies' a general ove… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Please check out the guidance below from our partners at @TheIACP and @DOJBJA twitter.com/DOJBJA/status/…
- RT @OJPOJJDP: Check out our Model Programs Guide that offers literature reviews on a variety of topics, including #bullying, drug courts, #…
- Thanks to @DOJBJA for sharing about a Q&A session with the #JustGrants team for real-time technical assistance and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @DOJBJA: Attend a Virtual Q&A session with the JustGrants team for real-time technical assistance and support on how to use JustGrants.…
- Join us Thurs Oct 7 at our 2021 Virtual Forum on Criminal Justice for our plenary "Justice Counts: Mobilizing Polic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Last call for recruiters for the Virtual CJS Career Fair, September 29th.
If you are interested in attending the c… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 days ago | ABACJS