Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
RLO: Body Metabolism
This RLO designed to provide an overview of how body metabolism responses to different physiological conditions.
RLO: Cardiac Output
This RLO is designed to explore the factors that affect cardiac output.
Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, PhD | Everyday Health
Interviews, tips and articles linked to the helath and well-being of nurses and those for whom we care.
Cardiorespiratory | Peer Reviewed Articles
Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) may disproportionately affect people with cardiovascular disease. Concern has been...
Cardiorespiratory endurance: Importance and how to improve
Cardiorespiratory endurance provides an indication of a person's physical fitness and measures how well the heart, lungs,...
RLO: DNA Damage and Repair Mechanisms in Human Cells
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs to identify different types of DNA...
RLO: Using Varenicline for Smoking Cessation
This RLO is designed to describe the proper use of varenicline for smoking cessation, including its dosing regimen, side...
RLO: Using nicotine patches for smoking cessation
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs how nicotine patches should be used...
Protein Drug Discovery & Development
This is a slightly modified version of the lecture "Protein Drug Discovery & Development", which I gave on 2020-09-09 for...
CAPS I Physical Examination Module: Cardiovascular System
At our institution, teaching basic physical examination (PE) skills capitalizes on the use of electronic resources and...
JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN BREAST CANCER RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The Journal of Advances in Breast Cancer Research and Development is an online open access peer reviewed journal that...
Health Equity | CDC
One of the primary goals of CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) is to...
Health IT and racial justice: Expanding access, ending disparities, empowering communities
We launch this page during Black History Month to celebrate the accomplishments of Black people across the healthcare...
Nearly half of U.S. workers suffer from mental health issues since Covid-19 pandemic hit, report finds
There's been a jump in worker mental health issues in the last 12 months, according to a report. Companies large and...
WHO Executive Board stresses need for improved response to mental health impact of public health emergencies
The importance of integrating mental health into preparedness and response plans for public health emergencies was...
Depression, Anxiety, Loneliness Are Peaking in College Students
A survey by a Boston University researcher of nearly 33,000 college students across the country reveals the prevalence of...
The mental health effects of the pandemic, 1 year on
In this Special Feature, we evaluate the mental health effects of the pandemic now compared with 1 year ago, when this...
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the step-wise approach of the 5 A's.
Verbal Skills and Non-verbal Skills
Learning Objective: To identify basic non-verbal communication skills (good and bad) and its importance.
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the understanding of different models of the doctor-patient relationship.
Breaking Bad News
Learning Objective: To understand and demonstrate the six-step SPIKES protocol for breaking bad news.
Social Media Professionalism
Learning Objective: Describe and discuss good and poor professionalism on social media in the healthcare setting.
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the understanding of the principles of medical ethics and application of ethical...
Learning Objective: To define consent in healthcare and research context, describe the types of consent and discuss the...
Aditya Srinivas ChavaliUniversity of Canada West
Blake AndersonWake Forest University
Valerie YuFort Hays State University
Heather HillDenmark Technical College
Janet WalkerDenmark Technical College
Julie CotePlymouth State College
Karen StarkShawnee Community/Technical College
Amanda Hinson-EnslinWright State University
Tina Schmidt-McNultyUniversity of Illinois System - Chicago
Allen PattersonCoastal Alabama Community College
Debra MunsellMississippi State University
Mohamad TlassHouston Community/Technical College System
hannah BarlisMount St. Mary's College
Tatiana ZabaletaTennessee State University
Christian GodboutUniversité du Québec à Rimouski
Alana AquinoAthabasca University
Scarlett MuñozINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Aldo DadoneSapienza Università di Roma
Veronica McDonoughMiddlesex Community/Technical College
Alessia GambelliCorso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria
Ben ClarkOld Dominion University
Nemencio Jr NicodemusUniversity of the Philippines
arkron fletcherColorado Mountain College District
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (255)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (51)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (559)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (190)
- Nursing (1093)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (504)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
A Black-focused therapy practice in Minneapolis sees 'trauma, trauma, trauma.' Here's how they're ...
Apr 13, 2021 09:41 AM PDT
FDA Grants vTv's Type 1 Diabetes Drug Breakthrough Therapy Designation
Apr 13, 2021 08:33 AM PDT
AD: The Talk Center counseling and therapy to open April 19 in Fayetteville
Apr 13, 2021 07:37 AM PDT
Proton Therapy for Lung Cancer Treatment
Apr 13, 2021 07:26 AM PDT
Ohio State Recruits Top Oncologist to Expand Cell Therapy Program, Lead Bone Marrow ...
Apr 13, 2021 06:41 AM PDT
Cardialen Announces Positive Results from Low-Voltage MultiPulse Therapy to Terminate Atrial ...
Apr 13, 2021 06:18 AM PDT
TransactRx Enables Reimbursement of COVID-19 Vaccines for Public Health Departments
Apr 13, 2021 05:56 AM PDT
Lilly, Arch join Deerfield in backing new gene therapy biotech Jaguar
Apr 13, 2021 05:33 AM PDT
Class examines public health through the lens of Africana studies
Apr 13, 2021 05:20 AM PDT
Nampa's in-school therapy partnerships lead to measurable success
Apr 13, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Plasma Therapy Market Report 2021-2031
Apr 13, 2021 04:37 AM PDT
Butte County will begin phasing out mass COVID vaccination clinics, Public Health says
Apr 13, 2021 04:26 AM PDT
This family raised millions to get experimental gene therapy for their children
Apr 13, 2021 03:06 AM PDT
Starling Minds launches new digital therapy program to help employees return to work healthier ...
Apr 13, 2021 02:22 AM PDT
Aces of Trades: Samantha McCurdy helping others with massage therapy
Apr 13, 2021 02:11 AM PDT
ABPTRFE: Data and Outcomes | American Board of Physical Therapy Education Residency and ...
Apr 13, 2021 01:27 AM PDT
Comic villain just needed some therapy
Apr 12, 2021 08:56 PM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- Researchers found that Black and Hispanic children are 18% and 13% less likely than white children to get imaging t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…48 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Routine #HIV screening in health care settings is a key elimination strategy that has been negatively affected duri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…48 minutes ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Dentists in Quebec say they still don't have adequate access to COVID-19 vaccines, even though they are frontline h… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…51 minutes ago | DentistryToday
- RT @ArthurCEvans: Reframing how we think about racism and discrimination can promote greater understanding in ourselves and others and open…1 hour ago | APA
- Maternal systemic vascular dysfunction induced in experimental primate model of impaired uterine spiral artery remo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | ajpheartcirc
- It's important for parents to talk to their children about the Derek Chauvin trial and other things related to raci… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | APA
- A Commentary published in @BMCMedicine discusses the themes and recommendations from the Long Covid Forum. The auth… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | BioMedCentral
- .@MiraIronsMD discusses the B.1.1.7 variant, a record day for vaccinations, @CDCgov's updated guidance around “hygi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- .@Pharmacy_Today contributing writer Corey Diamond, PharmD, reviews the latest research on fluoroquinolones' propen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | pharmacists
- To support physicians during the ongoing PPE shortage, #OurAMA is collaborating with @projectn95 to reserve quality… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn