Criminal Justice Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Criminal Justice Portal, an educational resource for teaching and learning. Use this portal to discover online learning materials, MERLOT members, journals, professional organizations, and news in your discipline.
You are also invited to join MERLOT – it's free! As a member, you can contribute to this growing community of instructors and students by using and rating the learning materials you find, submitting online learning materials for evaluation that you have created or that you have used.
MERLOT prides itself on the peer reviews of material in our collection. As a member you can become a peer reviewer. The peer review process for evaluating the teaching and learning resources in MERLOT follows a standard model and is led by Editors and editorial boards. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Peer Review Information page.
Paul Bowdre, Editor - Criminal Justice Editorial Board
This is a game based on a TV show "The First 48". The true life show follows detectives from the first call to a murder scene through the first 48 hours. This game allows the user to examine finger prints, process a crime scene, and interview suspects and family among other things.
Decision Point: Real-Life Ethical Dilemmas in Law Enforcement: Green Ph.D., Jeffrey L.: 9780981711621: Amazon.com: Books
Criminal Justice textbook
Jason Moore Attorney at Law
Attorney Jason Moore is a Criminal Defense Lawyer based in Farmville, VA. He works with Price Benowitz and focuses his...
Community Action Poverty Simulations
Gain a better understanding of how poverty impacts individuals health promotion and healthcare decisions to provide more...
The illegal wildlife trade in the context of zoonotic diseases
Human-wildlife interactions are occurring at an unprecedented scale and intensity. One factor driving this trend, is the...
Cybercrime is a growing, global problem. Whether you are a small business, a Fortune 500 company, buying your first...
Each year, while countless species are driven closer to extinction, criminals make billions from the sale of protected...
Whether firearms are used as an instrument of violent crimes, as a tool to project or perpetuate power, an illegal...
Trafficking in Persons; Smuggling of Migrants
In recent years there have been few topics garnering as much widespread interest as trafficking in persons and smuggling...
Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
Education plays a key role in preventing crime and promoting a culture of lawfulness that supports human rights and...
Education should be a fundamental area of work of any effective crime prevention strategy. Organized crime, in...
Integrity & Ethics
Building a culture of lawfulness starts with strengthening our ethical values and the ability to act upon them. To that...
Corruption is one of the most serious global threats of our time. It has disastrous effects on the economy and...
Terrorism continues to present a serious threat to international peace and security, affecting many UN Member States,...
Exercises for Critical Thinking
These exercises were written to accompany a course in critical thinking. Everything starts with a question so it's...
Introducing Vigilant Audiences
This ground-breaking collection of essays examines the scope and consequences of digital vigilantism – a phenomenon...
Introduction to Corrections
Introduction to Corrections - An Open Educational Resources Publication by Taft College.
Community and the Justice System
Community and the Justice System - An Open Educational Resources Publication by Taft College.
Data Analysis Exercises on Gun Issues
The goal of these exercises is to introduce students to quantitative data analysis using a Pew Research Center survey...
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
SOU-CCJ230 Introduction to the American Criminal Justice System – Simple Book Publishing
This is a free academic resource and a free textbook that can be printed at low-cost if you prefer paper. Southern Oregon...
Ethics in Law Enforcement
In this book, you will examine the moral and ethical issues that exist within law enforcement. This book will also...
Introduction to Criminal Investigation: Processes, Practices and Thinking
Introduction to Criminal Investigation, Processes, Practices, and Thinking, as the title suggests, is a teaching text...
Race, Crime, and Citizenship in American Law
This seminar looks at key issues in the historical development and current state of modern American criminal justice,...
The Meaning of Crime
Tough on the causes of crime'. A famous phrase, but what is crime? This free course, The meaning of crime, examines how...
Teresa OdumLong County Probate Court
Daniel OlsonUniversity of Colorado System - Colorado Springs
Emma MasonEastern Kentucky University
John MarkleyOakland City University
Ebonie MalveauxLouisiana Community/Technical College System
Kevin LindseyWashtenaw Community/Technical College
Tricia KloskySaint Mary's University of Minnesota
Yahayra MichelUniversity of Massachusetts System - Lowell
Christie GardinerCalifornia State University, Fullerton
Christos TsouramanisUniversity of Patras
Jerry BeasSouth Louisiana Community College
Michael FarrierKeiser University
Destyn MergistSouth Louisiana Community College
Caylee KernSouth Louisiana Community College
Wendi BabstClackamas Community/Technical College
taylor desormeauxLafayette Campus, Lafayette
Reginald JacksonSouth Louisiana Community College
Dean DabneyUniversity System of Georgia - Georgia State University
Lorraine DelfinCalifornia State University, Fullerton
Edward FreerDutchess Community/Technical College
David KoepkeNorth Central Technical College
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Correctional Association
- American Jail Association
- American Probation and Parole Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- International Association for Intelligence Education
- Midwest Criminal Justice Association
- National Criminal Justice Association
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Southern Criminal Justice Association
- Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice
- International Association for Intelligence Education
Journals & Publications
- Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice
- British Journal of Criminology
- Corrections Today
- Evidence Technology Magazine
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Federal Probation Journal
- Homeland Security Affairs
- Journal of Criminal Justice
- Journal of Homeland Security Education
- Journal of National Security Law and Policy
- Perspectives on Terrorism
- Police Chief Magazine
- The Open Criminology Journal
- Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice on the Web
SC's sentence reduction bill would create more crime and more victims
Apr 13, 2021 11:00 AM PDT
Up to 1 million Michigan residents may be eligible for 'clean slate' criminal expungements
Apr 13, 2021 10:37 AM PDT
New York University: For One Model of Criminal Justice Reform, Look to Early, Indigenous America
Apr 13, 2021 10:26 AM PDT
Travis County DA José Garza releases letter after 100 days in office
Apr 13, 2021 10:15 AM PDT
Ending SIPT corruption trial would be 'an injustice to the criminal justice system', says prosecutor ...
Apr 13, 2021 09:52 AM PDT
McCall: Criminal Justice Reform Needs To Account For Women
Apr 13, 2021 09:18 AM PDT
Ben and Jerry's calls to dismantle the police and criminal justice system following Daunte Wright's ...
Apr 13, 2021 08:40 AM PDT
The Era of Punitive Excess
Apr 13, 2021 07:03 AM PDT
An Incarcerated Texan Says He Should Already Be Home. Why Is He Still In Federal Lockup?
Apr 13, 2021 06:30 AM PDT
Truth and transformation are needed to improve Louisville police and community relations
Apr 13, 2021 05:56 AM PDT
Can California fix long waits in jail? These bills may help
Apr 13, 2021 05:33 AM PDT
New Shoreham appoints Matthew Moynihan its Chief of Police and Director of Public Works
Apr 13, 2021 04:52 AM PDT
For One Model of Criminal Justice Reform, Look to Early, Indigenous America
Apr 13, 2021 04:26 AM PDT
People-First Language Matters. So Does the Rest of the Story.
Apr 13, 2021 02:56 AM PDT
Jail expansion vote delayed, what could be done next?
Apr 13, 2021 02:45 AM PDT
CT's prison population shrunk during the pandemic. Will it last?
Apr 13, 2021 02:00 AM PDT
A New Approach to Ending Mass Incarceration
Apr 13, 2021 01:37 AM PDT
Advocates, lawmakers hope to reform elder parole in 2021
Apr 13, 2021 01:15 AM PDT
Criminal Justice on Twitter
- NCJA is excited to officially launch our new #podcast series, The NCJA Podcast is produced with support from … twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | thencja
- What role does age play in the plan to reduce mass incarceration?
Join us next week for the HOT TOPIC SERIES on Ap… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ABACJS
- RT @NACoTweets: There is still time to apply! Submit your county's most innovative program for the 2021 NACo Achievement Awards by Wednesda…1 day ago | thencja
- Registration is Open! Join NCJA online for our 2nd annual Public Policy Summit on May 10. The agenda includes panel… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | thencja
- Nominations are open for the Frank Carrington Crime Victim Attorney Award. Awardees are attorneys who have represen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | ABACJS
- Do you know any judges, academics, or attorneys enhancing the relationship between prosecutors and the defense bar?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | ABACJS
- .@POTUS @VP and @WhiteHouse release more details on the Biden-Harris administration's investment in community viole… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 days ago | thencja
- Join us for a FREE Non-CLE webinar NEXT MONTH, May 4 at 1 PM!
Guantanamo & Beyond: A Panel Discussion on Military… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 days ago | ABACJS
- Join the NCJA team! Today is the last day to apply for the data analyst, financial/administrative specialist, & gr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 days ago | thencja
- Improving #criminaljustice records enhances #publicsafety while protecting individual #privacy. In AZ the Criminal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 days ago | thencja